There are many different kinds of respect that often times are mistake for the same thing. Here is a list of the different kinds of respect. It is important to realize that the criteria for awarding each kind of respect varies from person to person.
Human Respect: the respect due to someone for simply being a human being.
- Some people believe a level of politeness, human rights, and manners should be rewarded for all humans.
- Some people don’t believe in human respect, and will disrespect you unless you earn the below alternative forms of respect
Deference: the respect due to personal values
- Awarded when someone embodies the values and principles that you believe in
- Example: Some people/cultures/societies value age, so older people are given deference. Some people value youth, so youth is given deference. Someone who is the same religion or political party as you.
- You can respect someone for having something (possession [winning lottery ticket]) or for being able to do something (action [can jump 5 ft]).
Command Respect: the respect achieved by force
- Social status, strength, fear, threat